A drifting astronaut. Those of you who have been following this blog for a while will certainly know that this is one of my recurrent subjects, but I still haven’t found any good reason to stop it. Nor am I looking for one.
Regarding technique, this is another entirely traditional piece, just as much as the last drawing I posted: brush, ink and airbrush. This time I decided to use sumi-e ink instead of the usual Higgins ink, because I’ve found that the former gives a more uniform rendering when it comes to fill big areas of black. Maybe this is something specific to the brand (or even to the particular bottle) I’m using now, I’m not sure.
Also, note the tone on the planet; there’s a bit of innovation there. I inked it using black ink, then sprayed a slight layer of diluted, white acrylic ink with the airbrush; thus the black became grey. That’s the real-world equivalent to the screen blending mode in Photoshop, I guess. Messy.